Last Updated on
Pectoral muscles – an indicator of strength and power of the upper half of the trunk. They are involved in many basic bench exercises. But there are several features that interfere with the proportional and rapid development of the breast. The heroes of militants of our childhood, all without exception, had a large inflated chest, which motivated us to train and achieve the goal. Let us together understand how to nurture the pectoral muscles, which determines the choice of exercises and how to make a program for yourself. Go!
- 1 Anatomy of the breast
- 2 Exercises for pectoral muscles
- 3 How to train at home
- 4 How to pump the pectoral muscles at home?
- 5 How to pump pectoral muscles in the gym?
- 6th How to pump up a man’s chest?
- 7th How to pump up a girl’s breast?
- 8 How should you eat?
Anatomy of the breast
Breasts can be conditionally divided into three sectors:
- Top (area of clavicles). Another area called “collar” – a place where the shoulders and pectoral connect with the trapezius muscles, forming a powerful frame around the neck.
- The middle, which occupies the main square.
- Bottom – the area below the nipple line.
- Center – the place of attachment of muscles, a vertical line dividing the thorax in half.
These divisions are conditional, since the muscles are located under, practically, the same angles, and are used simultaneously in the performance of all exercises.
When choosing exercises, you need to pay attention to their anatomical features:
- Muscle support. People with tight and deep attachments work out much easier, even the most minimal muscle mass looks impressive. It seems that there is no free space between the muscles, and one muscle group grows into the other.
- Length of the abdomen. The higher the growth, the longer the limb, the wider the thorax and the body. To gain impressive volumes, people with long muscular abdomens will have to work longer and harder, it may be necessary to work in an elongated amplitude, preferring only dumbbells. For those who have short fastenings, it will be much easier to create rounded shapes with less effort.
- Shoulder width, flatness. Here an important role is played by the load that the shoulders will steal with the bench press, because the closer your hands are to the body in the negative phase, the heavier the shoulder and triceps take on. Usually, such a picture is observed in ectomorphs or people with narrow shoulders relative to the thorax. As a rule, the wider and “square” the shoulders, the more the barbell approaches the athlete, and, therefore, the more shoulders goblet squats with dumbbells, the more emphasis should be placed in the direction of training with dumbbells.
- Disproportion, relative to other muscle groups. If the auxiliary muscle groups are better developed, or their genetic power potential exceeds the potential of the breast, then they will receive a minimum load, or they will not strain at all.
The most common mistakes in training chest muscles and pumped chest
- Lack of proper technique. During each crossfit exercise, you should feel the contraction and stretching of the pectoral muscles, not triceps, shoulders and stabilizers.
- The uniformity of the training. The pectoral muscles respond best to the combination of strength and pumping. So you will develop both fast and slow muscle fibers. The optimal range of repetitions is 6-12.
- Using too large a working balance. This problem is most relevant in performing push-ups on the uneven bars. Instead of working out with their weight or a small weight and working out the bottom of the pectoral muscles properly, many athletes hang several discs on their belts and overload the elbow joints and ligaments instead of pumping their chest muscles.
- Too long rest time between sets. If you are not a powerlifter, then there’s no reason to rest for more than 1.5-2 minutes, even when doing heavy basic exercises.
- Ignoring stretch marks. At least a third of your workout should be exercises where the pectoral muscles are properly stretched in the negative phase. This can be a variety of wiring with dumbbells, the information of the hands in a crossover or butterfly. These exercises will help you stretch the muscle fascia and increase blood circulation and the flow of elements necessary for muscle growth.
- Decide on the volume of the load. Usually, 3-4 exercises for pumping the pectoral muscles are enough to load all of their departments.
- Performing too much work, you risk overloading your muscles and falling into a state of overtraining.
- Wrong choice of exercises. The total mass of the pectoral muscles is given by basic exercises, isolation is needed to improve the relief and detail. Leave these exercises to dry.
- Wrong accents in the training. The lower chest responds perfectly to the load of all athletes who work with decent weights in bench press exercises. With the top, things are a little more complicated. Here, neuromuscular communication and intensity are much more important than power indicators. For everyone whose upper chest is lagging behind in development, we recommend that you perform 1-2 bench press exercises on an inclined bench at the beginning of your workout.
- Different angles of the bench – different trajectories. Many athletes make a huge mistake when doing the bench press on an incline bench. They lower the bar to the same level as with the horizontal bench press. So all the specifics of this exercise are lost. To feel the reduction of the top of the chest and not to work “idle”, you must put the bar on the level of the clavicle.
- It is not necessary to work at full amplitude all the time. In any press exercise, the last 10-15 centimeters are passed only due to the work of triceps, therefore, as part of a specialized training, when doing exercises for pumping the pectoral muscles, you do not need to fully squeeze the barbell.
- Train intensely, pumping is necessary for steady progress in gaining muscle mass. Use the “rest-pause” method, supersets, dropset, negative, forced and partial repetitions if your pectoral muscles are lagging behind in development.
- Do not overdo it with the bench press on a bench with a reverse slope. Using large weights in it, you greatly increase intracranial pressure.
Exercises for pectoral muscles
Bench Press Bench Press
A classical basic exercise that harmoniously develops the entire shoulder girdle, and also, to a lesser extent, the muscles of the back and trapezium. The main working muscles are:
- Trapezium (performs the removal of the bar from the racks and keeps the balance throughout the exercise).
- Shoulder biceps and diamond-shaped back muscles (work when lowering the projectile).
- Thoracic muscles (perform, directly, a traffic movement).
- Anterior bundle of deltoid muscles (it works when lifting the weight, stabilizing the position relative to the post).
- The triceps (unbends the arm at the top of the amplitude.
Thoracic muscles are almost at the end of the list is not accidental. Most athletes do not feel the load in this exercise because of anatomical features or incorrect technique. Exercise refers more to competitive than culturist. As evidence, you can bring athletes such as Alexei Klakotsky (96 kg), Igor Voitenko (77 kg), Alexei Stolyarov (100 kg), Yuri Spasokukotsky (115 kg). All four athletes performed a barbell weighing 100 kg 100 times, with small interruptions, which undoubtedly indicates good physical preparation. Nevertheless, none of the athletes have outstanding nursing.
Bench press on an incline bench
This exercise more locally affects the muscles of the chest, removing the load from the triceps. Moreover, the amplitude of the movement in the slope is much greater, which means that even for athletes with long bellys such a type of bench press will be perfect. The main rules for bench press are:
- Do not tear your lower back and do not stand on the bridge (if these rules are not observed, the angle of the chest, relative to the bench, will be practically the same as in the horizontal bench press, and therefore the amplitude will decrease.
- You can not beat the bar from the pectoral muscles, this will not only complicate the task of building muscles, but also increases the chance of injury.
IMPORTANT! Rapid lowering or “resetting” the bar downwards complicates the task. This is due to the laws of physics, namely the acceleration of free fall. Hands move faster than the bar, and at the moment when their hands have stopped or have already begun to move upwards, the bar is still “falling” down. In the course of this crossing of the force vector, part of the energy is spent on stopping the bar movement, and then on the exercise. The stinging must be slow and confident.
Press the head down
The exercise uses the same muscles as the push-ups on the uneven bars, allows you to shift the load to the lower sector of the chest, turns off triceps and shoulders, uses intercostal muscles and a trapezoid. Perform it usually under a negative slope of 30 or 45 degrees, with dumbbells.
Press of dumbbells
Classical exercise of old school athletes. It was also popular with the press of weights. Allows you to adjust the width of the grip of hands and the amplitude of motion for their anatomical features. You can also deploy brushes with dumbbells, relative to the trunk at 30-45 degrees, so that it is easier to maintain balance. Another plus is the training of skeletal muscles or so-called muscle stabilizers, which will help to lift the uneven shape in everyday life, because lifting in the deadlift rod, weighing 100 kg – is one thing, and raise a round stone, with uncomfortable points of grip – completely different.
A good option for isolation of pectorals, or a separate part of them. Also provides an option to perform “in solo”, without an insurer. Also deprives the load of muscle-stabilizers, press and trapezium. Is it good? On the one hand – no, because the muscles that must work – rest. And on the other – it’s good, because all the load is transferred to the chest.
Exercise, which should focus on speed and amplitude. Dilute the dumbbells slowly, inhaling the air, and reduce – as smoothly, leaving 30-40 cm at the top point, so that the dumbbells do not touch each other, otherwise the entire load is transferred to the shoulder joint and deltoid muscles.
This option is provided for beginners and novice athletes who do not master the correct technique. The simulator is designed in such a way that the trajectory can not be changed. Performing the exercise in the hammer, the muscles will get used to the correct trajectory and after going to exercises with a barbell or dumbbells it will be much easier for them to adapt. Also, in this simulator, you can work out the lagging pectoral muscle, performing the press in turn.
Something between the crossover and the crossover. It also suggests one, the only true trajectory, develops the vestibular apparatus and trains the stabilizing muscles.
Crossover on blocks
Despite the fact that the crossover is performed on blocks, it can be attributed to exercises with free weight, as the degree of control of the projectile approaches the dumbbells. In other words, with an unstable position, the blocks will rotate the body in different directions. During the exercise, not only the pectoral muscle strains, but also stabilizers, intercostals, and also, the waist and trapezium. Remember that the crossover, this is primarily a wiring, and not a press, then you need to set the angle (about 15 degrees) at the elbow and keep it throughout the movement.
The old traditional exercise with its own weight, which develops the pectoral muscles, the press, shoulders and extensors of the spine. To complicate the exercise, you can set your feet on a hill. Suitable only for beginners, because sooner or later the load that the muscles receive will be small and will have to move to more complex exercises.
Push-ups on the uneven bars
More complex and technically, and physically exercise for the development of the bottom and middle of the chest. Refers to multistate, perform it strictly, according to technology:
- You can not fall down. In the negative phase, the movement must be controlled and smooth.
- Do not peck “forward”. The body must be perpendicular to the floor plane during the entire exercise.
- Do not unbend your hands completely, because, after all, the exercise is aimed at the chest, and tired hands will not allow it to be fully executed to the end.
Pullover with dumbbells and a barbell from behind the head lying down
A specific exercise that was popular in the “golden era” of bodybuilding. You can do it with a pancake, EZ-bar, weights, dumbbells, and on the block. The main guarantee of success is to breathe in the negative phase as deeply as possible. Breathing is the most important part of any exercise, and when it comes to breastfeeding, all the more, after all, an inhalation full of chest further stretches the chest.
The sword of Svend
Quite a rare exercise, named after the athlete-pioneer. To perform it, you need to take two light pancakes, squeeze between the palms, without closing your fingers. Set the hands at the chest level, pulling the elbows to the sides, and then straighten the arms, parallel to the floor. Even light weight can provide a good load.
Craving for Ryder
Most likely, this way to add a couple of centimeters to the volume of the chest you have not heard. Craving invented Piri Ryder, who in his youth was a slim and thin guy and did not have a broad chest, but fixed it, being already an adult. The essence of the exercise is as follows:
- You need to be 1-1.5 meters from the wall.
- Lean on it with your hands and fix a glance at one point on the wall.
- Without changing the position of the head, gradually inhaling, lowering the trunk downward, bending to the wall and simultaneously pulling the pelvis back.
- The important point is that the press should be relaxed.
- You need to go as low as the stretch allows.
- Hold for a few seconds, then try to press straight with the hands on the wall and thereby raise your torso.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
How to train at home
It is better to give preference to push-ups and work with dumbbells in a multi-repeat mode, since the absence of an insurer can result in injury. It is possible to perform presses and rails of dumbbells at different angles, push-ups.
Complex exercises for breast volume
- The bench press lies in the range of 8-12 repetitions with a weight equal to 70-75% of the single maximum. Number of approaches – 4.
- Dumbbell presses lying or tilted, in the range of 12-16 repetitions with a weight equal to 60-70% of the one-time maximum. Follow 3-4 approaches.
- Push-ups on bars are performed with or without weight. If it is good to perform 15-20 times without weighting, you can hang weight and work in a range of 6-10 repetitions in four approaches.
Focus on chest top
- Press the barbell, and better dumbbells in the slope. The load is equal to 70% of the single maximum. Perform 10 repetitions in 3-4 approaches.
- Press in the Hammer. Set the load a little less than the bench press in the slope. Complete 3 sets of 12 reps.
- Rider’s Thrust. 4 sets of 15 repetitions at the end of the workout, or in pauses between exercises.
Stress on the bottom of the chest
- Push-ups on the uneven bars. It is not recommended to hang more than 25 kg, as this exerts an excessive load on the joints. Do three 12-14 approaches.
- Press upside down (angle 45 degrees). Weight equal to 60% of the working weight on bench press. It is optimal to perform 4 sets of 10 repetitions.
Exercises for chest width
- The wiring is either lying down or in the slope. The total weight of the projectile is equal to your own. The number of repetitions is 10, the number of approaches is from 3 to 5.
- Crossover. Set the weight slightly below what you are working on wiring. Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
- Rider’s Thrust. 5 sets of 10 a day rest after a nursing session.
- Butterfly. Weight equal to 80% of its own. Optimum load 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
The best way to stretch the muscle is to include the muscles of the antagonist in the work. For the chest, such a muscle group is the back. After a hard workout, it is recommended to hang on the horizontal bar with a wide grip, slightly stretch, execute traction on the back with light weight.
How to pump the pectoral muscles at home?
The main mistake of athletes wishing to pour at home is excessive enthusiasm. They are ready to practice every day, forgetting that the muscles grow during rest.
The optimal frequency of training is 3 times a week with progression of the load. This means that if the training session was on Monday, then the next should be at least Saturday, and better on Monday. Also, do not forget that the more muscles the athlete trains, the more resources he needs. For example, if an athlete only shakes his shoulders (a small group), he can repeat the training more often than if he was training in the fullbad mode.
For continued and confident progress, you will need:
- Set of dumbbells
- Hard rubber bands (such sold in specialized sports stores). Usually they are used as an auxiliary element for pull-ups or push-ups on the uneven bars.
- Several pancakes (for pullover and bench press of Svend).
- Bench (optional).
- Wall-mounted horizontal bar. Often sell a construction, which is a combined horizontal bar and bars.
The program of training of a breast of the house
- Press of dumbbells lying 4х10;
- Push-ups on the bars 4xMAX;
- The wiring is 4х14.
- Press of dumbbells in a slope 4х8;
- Push-ups from the floor 4хМАКС;
- The wrist of Svend 3×12.
- Press the head down 4×8;
- Wiring at an angle of 30 degrees to the top 3×12;
- Thrust Rider 4h15.
Training can be alternated in a row or in a random order, the main thing is to train as diversely as possible.
- You can not fixate on one breast. Imagine a situation: a person lives far from the city, his matches end. To buy them, he must go by car to the store, and the amount of gasoline is limited. It will be rational to wait until it runs out of products, household chemicals, etc., to buy everything at once.
- Similarly, our body thinks. If you do not create stress for him, push, a strong premise for the growth of muscle mass throughout the body, it will simply ignore the weak signals from the individual muscle group.
- Train diverse and interesting. A boring program that you do not like to beat even the strongest desire to train and set personal records. The more often you change the exercises, the better, because the body expects one load, and the other is placed on it, thereby creating stress, which is the main prerequisite for the growth of the mass.
- The main rule is that the muscles need food for construction. No food, no muscles, no matter how hard you work.
How to pump pectoral muscles in the gym?
- Arrange the exercises in descending order of difficulty: first basic, then multi-joint, then – isolation.
- Always be insured. Remember that the injury will not only deprive you of the opportunity to engage in, but also throw back cool by weight and strength.
- Do not overload. “Everything at once” is not the best choice. If everything was so simple, the surrounding people would have been pumped for a long time already.
Program of training in the hall
- Press of dumbbells or barbells lying 4х10. Weight – 60-70% of a single maximum;
- Push-ups on the uneven bars 4×8;
- The wiring is 4х10. Weight – 60% of the maximum one-time effort.
- Press of dumbbells in a slope 4х12. Weight – 50% of the maximum;
- Crossover 4х10. Weight is the same as the working weight on the wiring;
- The wrist of Svend 3×12.
It is best to do a week’s break between training, as the load is already serious. More frequent classes will not lead to the desired progress and can lead to trauma.
How to pump up a man’s chest?
Create a need for muscle growth. Did you notice that the athletes (wrestlers, rukobortsev, gymnasts, etc.) developed the muscles of the chest and arms, although they do not aim to pump them up. Moreover, they are limited to the weight category and each kilogram can cause a transition to a heavier weight group. So from what do they grow muscles? From the need! Create a shock, a stressful situation, unusual conditions for the muscles, show the muscles that the conditions in which you exercise become heavier and the muscle mass for “survival” needs more.
How to pump up a girl’s breast?
When it comes to girls, the top of the pectorals and the center are in priority, since the lower part is covered with mammary glands. It is worth emphasizing the pullover to increase the volume of pectoral muscles and visually raise the chest, as well as the wiring that will work the area of the pectoral muscles in the deltas. The remaining exercises have a lower priority, since they are aimed at developing strength and growth of the breast in thickness, which is not very beautiful for a girl.
How should you eat?
It is necessary to observe the regime. Eat regularly, using your daily norm in equal portions. Optimal ratio:
- Carbohydrates – 2 g. per kg of weight;
- Protein – 1 gr. per kg of weight;
- Fats – 1.5 gr. per kg of weight.
For a natural athlete, such a volume of food will cover all needs and will allow you to gain weight gradually and qualitatively.
Too fast a jump in weight due to the fat layer will provoke problems, because to ensure any tissue cells must build mitochondria. The more fat the athlete will pick up, the more strength and resources the body will spend building mitochondria, and in fact could spend on the growth of muscle mass. Do not force food into yourself and do not take it 3-4 hours before bedtime. The gap between hunger at 10, 14, and even 36 hours will not affect muscle mass and strength, so do not convulsively take protein cocktails or fast carbohydrates after training (there is more, all the blood is concentrated in the muscles, and as long as it clings to the stomach a lot of time will pass).
You need to train your breasts the way your body tells. It is necessary to observe the regime of rest and loads, change exercises, intuitively increase and lower the working weight. You can do both at home and in the hall – the main thing is to create the proper load and recover correctly.